Friday, July 24, 2009

Getting organized and being crafty.

I have had a long day. Of course, it didn't help that I was awake until the wee hours of the morning. A poor night of sleep always makes for a hard day. I am thinking that some Tylenol PM might be in order tonight if I run into the same problem. Hopefully, my hectic day has worn me out enough to fall into an exhausted slumber tonight. So, what has made my day so hectic?

We started off the day rushing out the door to go to the
pediatric dentist. Trying to get four kids fed and dressed and out the door on time is a huge challenge. Especially, when two of said kids were awake late after an exciting evening at VBS. On a normal day I can't get Annie and Megan to sleep in but on a day that we need to be out the door on time, they are content to snooze the day away. We did manage to make it to the dentist on time with everyone fairly tidy looking. Annie and Meg had their cleanings and x-rays while I relaxed (yeah right) in the waiting room with Lily and Noah. Is there a way to relax while keeping a toddler and a tired infant quiet in a dental waiting room for an hour? Lily was actually well behaved. Noah managed to spit up all over the floor and myself twice. I bet the office staff was sorry to see us leave. The good news is that we are cavity free....kind of. Annie has worry free teeth once again. Megan, due in large part to her desire to consume massive amounts of candy, has an area that we need to keep an eye on. That translates into "Mommy and Daddy will be brushing her teeth from now on".

So, after such a fun dental visit the next logical place for a lone woman and four children to go is Jo-Ann Fabrics. I had yummy snacks packed in hopes that the kids would be calm and happy while I grabbed the items I needed. No such luck. Annie and Megan managed to do fairly well, however, Lily was happy to let the entire store know that she was not happy about being buckled into her stroller while Mommy checked out scrapbook paper. I managed to grab what I needed and hit the door before Noah fully realized that he was in the stroller and started to protest. Whew!

The next stop was Target. I love Target! It is one of my most favorite places on earth. That is the exact reason that I had sworn not to go to Target this week. One too many stops at the Dollar Spot, which always has awesome stuff I didn't know I needed, last week resulted in a self-imposed ban on Target for the entire week. However, I am in the midst of organizing my homeschool materials and craft supplies and I needed a few more letter trays that I had previously bought at Target. So, I decided I just had to go to Target in order to make sure that the much needed letter trays would fit nicely with the ones I already owned. Makes perfect sense, right? Well, my local Target was jammed with Back to School shoppers and the shelves were practically picked clean of anything I had on my list. The spot for the letter trays was empty and there was nary a stick of normal sized chalk to be found. I did manage to pick up diapers, wipes and other random list items but no letter trays. I suppose I will have to stalk Target until they replenish them.

We were all beat. I was starting to sweat and get a headache, the kids were all whining and dragging their tired little feet and Noah was in dire need of a diaper change. So, we loaded up the van and headed home. After I got Lily and Noah down for their naps I jumped into my organization project. Want to see what I did?





I organized my homeschool cabinet! See the books stacked in letter trays? I need about three or five more of those. So, my homeschool books are in the center section. Arts and crafts stuff is located in the bottom cabinet and markers, colored pencils, pencils, flashcards and other random school supplies are located on the top shelf. Do you see my awesome pencil cups? Here's a better view.

These are simply empty oatmeal containers that I covered in scrapbook paper! I am so tickled with how they turned out. I now find myself looking around my house trying to figure out what else I can cover in scrapbook paper. I will be sure to let you know what I discover!


No comments:

Post a Comment