Tuesday, July 19, 2011

She's here!



Claire Elena Herrera arrived on July 5, 2001 at 3:33pm. She weighed 8lbs. 13oz., which was about a pound less than I expected her to weigh. She was 20.5in., which puts her in the 50th percentile for height, shorter than I thought she would be. Her head is small as well...she's our first baby not to be in the 100th+ percentile for head size! So, I suppose she was a big baby but she seems quite small to me. She has a little tiny nose and a petite little chin, which I just adore. We have already moved out of newborn size diapers and clothes and we are now in size 1 diapers and size 0-3mo. clothing. I am guessing she will wind up being just about average size wise.


I was thrilled because I went into labor all on my own. That is something I haven't done since I had Annie all those years ago. It was a neat experience. I was thrilled that I didn't need to be induced, which I was scheduled for that Friday. The entire labor (from the first contractions) lasted about 15hrs., which is my longest labor yet. The other kids were all born in under 8hrs. Claire came out screaming and was pretty much a pro at nursing from the get-go.


The other kids are doing fairly well adjusting. Although, Megan is more clingy and smart mouthed than usual. I am not sure if that is due to the fact that my Mom was here giving her lots of attention or if she is having issues adjusting. I suppose time will tell. Lily is also having a few issues, however, Annie and Noah have taken everything in stride with nary a complaint. That's funny because I was sure that the two of them would have the most trouble adjusting...guess I was off the mark on that one.


My Mom left yesterday, after spending almost two weeks with us. It was my first solo day with all five kids. It went fairly well. Claire seems to have a fussy period in the late afternoon and then again in the early evening. I still managed to get dinner on the table and help with bedtime for the older kids. I went into today feeling pretty proud of myself...big mistake. Today, Claire fussed pretty much the entire morning and I accomplished nothing. I didn't even get to eat a snack or any lunch until 2pm! I finally got her to fall asleep about an hour ago and I am enjoying not having someone on me. :) I really have the urge to get out and head to Target and the library, but the thought of dealing with five kids in public makes me feel stressed and edgy. I figure it's probably best to just stay home.


So, I am surviving. The other kids are surviving. Claire is surviving. Carlos is surviving. I suppose that's the best we can do right now. :)

1 comment:

  1. Survival is a HUGE accomplishment some days, especially with a new baby. I stayed in survival mode for months when M was born. I'd say with your 5th child, you should at least take 6 months....no, 9. Oh heck, just say a whole year!! So happy for your family!

    ReplyDelete