Friday, September 6, 2013

Homeschool ~ Weeks 3 & 4

Today we finished our fourth week of the school year!  I am happy to say that I have remained organized and things have gone great!



We have been using Road Trip USA and we began working our way through the 50 states.  First up was Connecticut and we made homemade clam chowder to go along with our study.  I had never made clam chowder before and I was surprised at how well it turned out.  The kids ate it without too much complaint, which leads me to declare it a success! 




Noah started his second year of preschool this week!  He is in the 4 year old class.  He attends preschool at a local church three mornings a week.  I thought about homeschooling him for preschool but I have my hands full with his sisters.  Plus, he has a speech delay and being around other children several times a week will help him out in that regard. 




 
The girls and I went on a nature scavenger hunt at a local park.  They had to find items such as an orange leaf, a beetle, a bird that had red on it, an acorn, a yellow flower, etc...  We opted to do this on a morning that Noah was in school...it was one less kid for me to worry about and chase around.  The girls really enjoyed this.  They found most of the items on their list as well as a snail, a rock shaped like the state of Delaware and a small blue heron.  I didn't take notice, before we left the house, that all the girls were dressed in pink!  I was wearing green...bummer.
 
 
Annie has been working hard on her math lessons so far this year.  Math is not her favorite subject but I am proud of the effort she is making and her lack of complaining.
 


 
We have been studying American Indians and the girls tried their hands at making their own tepees.  We used a kit ordered online and they turned out pretty well.  The girls decorated the outside of their tepees with traditional Native American symbols.  Upon finishing this project, Lily rushed her tepee up to her room where her mini Lalaloopsies promptly made it their home.


Lily has been plugging away in her first year of homeschooling.  She still voices her dismay at having to leave the school she attended last year, however, I hold out hope that she will begin to enjoy homeschooling in the future. 
 
So, all in all things are going very well.  The newly designed school room has been working well for us and my determination to remain organized has made things flow easily from day to day.

No comments:

Post a Comment