Tuesday, September 25, 2012

These days...

My life these days keeps me on my toes.  It is always changing and evolving.  The major things remain the same....my family, homeschooling, church.  The minor things are in a constant state of flux though and that is what keeps me on my toes.

For instance, I had signed Megan up to take a ballet/tap class on Monday evenings.  She decided to do this instead of American Heritage Girls this year.  She attended her first class a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't a good fit.  The class was for beginners that were ages 8+.  The class had three girls plus Megan.  The other girls were around the age of 12 and had danced before.  I spoke to the instructor and was informed that it is very unusual for that the happen.  How?  Wouldn't these girls be put into a class with other girls their age who had experience?  Well, since these girls only had a year of experience they were considered beginners.  So, here was my 8 year old daughter in a class with 12 year olds that already knew how to dance.  Obviously, this wasn't going to work.  The instructor suggested I try the beginner's class for ages 5-8yrs.  She assured me that most of the girls were around age 7.  Fair enough.  We tried the class last week....it is full of 5 year old girls.  So, where does that leave us?  It leaves us with no dance class for Megan.  I suppose I could search around for another studio that offers a class that would fit our schedule but I just don't feel like it.

You see, last year I hung on by the tips of my fingers.  I had a new baby, had surgery, was homeschooling, was a squad leader for American Heritage Girls and was driving my girls to their activities.  I was dead on my feet all the time.  By the time the end of the school year arrived I was ready to throw in the towel.  Actually, I was ready to throw in the towel by Christmas last year!  This year I decided that we were going to keep things simple.  I was going to concentrate on homschooling and that was it.  Until, I found a dance class for Megan.  Once I had Megan signed up for her dance class I began to find other things to fill up our schedule. 

However, the whole dance thing just isn't going to work out.  You know what else?  All that other stuff fell through too.  I now sit and look at my calendar and it isn't filled with activities.  I don't think that's such a bad thing.  Sometimes, I think things happen for a reason.  I spent the entire summer praying that God would give me strength to do a good job educating my children.  I prayed that God would help me find more time to play with my kids and just enjoy them.  I prayed that God would help me to slow down and spend more time in prayer.  So, while I was busy arranging our lives and filling up our calendar, God was busy answering my prayers.  Now, I have the time and energy to do all those things I asked God to help me with.  I am going to throw up my hands and let God take the lead here. 

So, I will be spending this school year giving 100% to homeschooling my kids.  I will be playing with my kids, taking walks with them, pushing them on swings and chasing them around the yard.  I will enjoy watching Claire grow from a baby to an active toddler.  I will spend time with my Bible and time in prayer.  All of these are good things.  So, my life these days is still busy.  It's just busy with the things I really want to do.

2 comments:

  1. Life is what happens while you are busy making plans. Indeed! Sometimes I think people put their kids into every activity they can possibly find because they don't want to spend time with them. Good for you for taking things slower, even if this wasn't the original design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelby! I saw your comment on Clover Lane that you are from Louisville! I am, too. It's so rare to find a blogger from Louisville that I just wanted to pop over and introduce myself.

    And if you find a dance studio you like, please pass that info on to me. I have a 6 year old who wants to get back into dance. She did All About Kids in preschool but I want to find something a little more dance-oriented. :)

    Go CARDS!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete