Once again it is that time of year. The time of year when school ends and summer begins. As a homeschooling family, we don't really ever stop schooling. We simply lighten the load a bit and fly by the seat of our pants. We like the idea of schooling year round but we also like to get outside and enjoy the sunshine. So, what will our summer look like?
1. We will be working on math. Annie and Megan will do math drills each day just to keep things fresh in their minds. I have learned from past experiences that taking weeks at a time off from math doesn't do anyone any favors. So, we will continue to practice what we have learned. These drills may or may not involve driveway games with chalk and paint. :)
2. Reading, reading and more reading! We will participate in various summer reading programs through our local library, Barnes and Noble and Half-Price Books. We will also be doing some unit studies on specific books...Dr. Doolittle, Black Beauty, etc... We will continue to read together nightly as a family. I am looking forward to starting Peter and the Starcatchers with the kids.
3. We are going to be learning about new places! I am ashamed to admit that we didn't spend very much time on geography this last year. So, we are going to work on that this summer. I have signed the kids up for the Little Passport program and that should give us a good jumping off point. My plan is to try and make/taste foods from all the countries we study about...should be interesting.
4. Dance! We have the opportunity to enroll the three oldest girls in dance class this summer at a very reasonable rate. So, Lily and Megan will be taking ballet while Annie takes an introductory hip-hop class! I think it will be something they will really enjoy.
5. Bible study...myself and the kids! I have been fortunate enough to have a friend (thanks Keri!) who is graciously hosting a Bible study in her home at a time that works for me. So, I am looking forward to getting out of the house and spending a bit of time each week with other Godly women. I also plan to continue the Bible work I have been doing with the kids at home. The kids will also do VBS, which I know they are looking forward to.
6. Holiday World, canoeing, camping, etc.... We aren't taking any big family vacation this year. Instead, we are planning a bunch of smaller activities to do with the kids. I am looking forward to the memories we will make.
7. Noah's speech therapy. We have sessions twice a week. I am excited about how Noah will be at the end of the summer! I am looking forward to being able to understand what my little boy is saying! :)
So, those are our big plans. Throw in a few zoo visits, local pool days, picnics at the park, hiking at Bernheim and other random things and you have a busy summer. I think it will be fun though and I am excited about it!
What are you big summer plans?